Thursday, March 25, 2010

Spring Break, Part 3

Today I had planned on talking about grocery shopping/meal planning, but my head is swimming with thoughts of clothes. Why clothes? Because today the kids and I are doing the dreaded chore of going through spring/summer clothes. So, tomorrow I will talk about grocery shopping.

This job really isn't that bad, it's just once I start I can't stop till it's completed becuase I don't want my house to be taken over by piles of clothes everywhere (and Naomi would just scatter them all over the house). I store all the clothes in beautiful plastic containers (I love containers of any kind) with labels. The label is just an index card taped to the container, I right the child's name with a Sharpie. If need be, I have seperate containers for summer and winter. That way you avoid dragging out every piece of clothing they own! Yesterday we went through the closets (the girl's dresses) and pulled out what didn't fit, they didn't like, etc. I had a goodwill pile, too big pile (which I would then place in their container for when they grow into it), or too small pile (which I would put into the next child's container).

In the past I would have every child come into the living room at the same time and try on their clothes and sort it out into piles, just for the sake of time. I have learned that I can not handle this and I have to do one child at a time. To do otherwise makes me want to cover my ears and run out of the room screaming! Nothing frazzles me more than 5 kids talking to me at the same time about different things! So, one at a time.

Just this year I discovered what a perfect time to do this. It's spring break, so they are all home and we have all day! It's also right before the S.S. Easter Program (they want to wear springy stuff)and the older girl's choir concert. Funny story about that...for choir they have to wear black pants/skirt and their shirt is provided. As Rachel and I were going through her closet yesterday she pulls out her black pants that don't fit anymore (she has had them for a couple years, it's amazing they lasted that long). I start to panic, the concert is Sunday and she doesn't have black pants. Which means I'm gonna have to drag the kids all over Quincy in search of black pants. How easy do you think it is to find black pants at the begining of spring!? Then, I remembered I had a black skirt in my closet (ya know, the one that hasn't fit me in years, but I hang onto it just in case). It fit her! Yeah, no shopping trip!! That also put into perspective for me that I will probably never fit into that skirt again:( I try to tell myself that I am blessed that I could carry these children and deliver them because so many are not able to, but it's so hard to remember that EVERY day when I get dressed. I should probably just let go of those clothes, maybe. Funny how I started talking about the kids clothes which led into mine, HAHA.

Well, the kids are hungry so I guess it's time to head to the kitchen for breakfast. That makes me smile...we were just talking about clothes not fitting, and now...let's eat! Who's hungry??

2 comments:

Merce said...

Just wanted to tell you I love reading your blog!! Organization!!! Such a beautiful word! Hope you're having a great day! Can't wait for your next post!

Susan H. said...

Keep these posts coming! You ARE inspiring me. Plus, I love your humor...it makes me feel more normal (whatever that is).