Monday, March 22, 2010

Spring Break

This week my kids are off of school, due to 'spring break'. I am so excited to not have to get kids ready and off to school in the morning for a full week!! So, I thought I would take this week to post a special series. I absolutely love to organize...my house, our schedules, ANYTHING! So, everyday this week I'm going to post what/how I do things. Not at all to sound as if I have everything figured out, but just to share how I do things and maybe someone will be inspired by an idea. I have gotten some ideas from people that have helped me alot. So, I hope to be able to do the same for someone else.

Cleaning will be the first subject to tackle. Weekly cleaning (such as dusting, vacuuming, etc.) is done every Friday. I picked that day because my kids don't have school on that day and they are here to help. (If your children are still too young to help, I feel your pain.) I also created a 'cleaning book' which I've posted about before. It has worked wonderfully!

I do not spring clean, the thought of it totally stresses me out! So, I took an idea from flylady.com. She broke her house down into zones. Each week she works on a different zone for 15 minutes a day. You start off by decluttering, once that's done you can start on the cleaning. I just printed her lists off of her website then tweeked it where needed. There are 5 different zones, so this goes over the course of 5 weeks and whatever you don't get done in that week you can tackle the next time it comes around. If you are easily distracted or get caught up in a task and lose track of time (like me) then you can set a timer.

The bathroom is a stresser for me. With many little ones in there everyday getting ready it always looks as if the tube of toothpaste exploded in the sink. So, whenever it looks gross and bothers me (which is every morning after they are off to school)...i just do a quick wipe down. This is where those very handy cleaning wipes are wonderful. Aww, much better:)

I will also, usual on Wednesday, dust and vacuum the living room. Nothing major just a little something to make it look better. I don't know if anyone else has this problem, but a couple days after cleaning everything is really dusty again! I will also, wash my floors. Okay, I'll be honest...I don't do it every week. There I said it:)

Okay, so to recap...it sounds like alot but really it's not. Each day I wipe down the bathroom (and I'm talking sinks and mirrors, nothing else) it takes me a couple minutes, I spend 15 minutes working on a zone, and on Friday's we clean. Well, there's my cleaning in a nutshell, I hope it's been helpful.

1 comment:

Susan H. said...

Thanks Katie! This does help. I followed Fly Lady for a while and then got overwhelmed with the many emails so I "signed off", but she has great ideas. Thanks for the reminder and for lighting a fire under me. I need to get a LOT done today and I needed it!